Museum and Other News
Four Dutch cultural institutions – Dutch Open Air Museum, Paleis Het Loo museum, the Rijksmuseum and Cultural Heritage Agency of the Netherlands – are joining forces to build a new depository for the national collections under their management. The new Netherlands Collection Centre (CCNL) will be built in Amersfoort. It will house 675,000 objects. It is scheduled to open in 2020.
- A series of The Passion of Christ by Adriaen van de Velde has been returned to Museum Ons’ Lieve Heer op Solder, coinciding with the exhibition in the Rijksmuseum which closed September 25, 2016. The paintings were made in 1664 for the attic church. They later were moved to an Augustine church in the north of Amsterdam. One of the paintings, Christ Crowned with Thorns, has been in the museum since its restoration in 2013. The other four scenes will be restored in the future. (From Codart News June 2016)
- The Last Judgement by Lucas van Leyden is temporarily on view at the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, while Museum De Lakenhal is closed for renovations.
- The Rijksmuseum has attributed six works to Hercules Segers. Only twelve of his paintings were known until now. The research was conducted by Pieter Roelofs and Huigen Leeflang, co-curators of the exhibition “Hercules Segers Wonderland” (Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, October 7, 2016 – January 8, 2017), with help from Arie Wallert from the University of Amsterdam. (Codart News, September 2016)
- The National Maritime Museum (Scheepvaartmuseum) has purchased View of the River IJ with ‘s Lands Zeemagazijn by Reinier Nooms (1623/24-1664).
- The Koninklijk Museum voor Schone Kunsten, Antwerp, and the Suermondt-Ludwig-Museum, Aachen, are planning an exhibition in 2020-21 to commemorate Dürer’s journey to Aachen and the Netherlands in 1520-21.
- The Rubenshuis acquired a modello for Achilles among the Daughters of Lycomedes by Jan Boeckhorst (c. 1604-1668). The acquisition was made possible with funds from the Friends of the Rubenshuis.
- The new Plantin-Moretus Museum opened September 30, 2016.
Barnard Castle, County Durham
The Bowes Museum acquired St. Luke Drawing the Virgin and Child by Dieric Bouts. After conservation, the painting will be displayed at the Bowes, followed by the National Gallery, York and Bristol. It will then become part of the Bowes’ permanent collection. (From Codart News, July 2016)
The Groeningemuseum has received on loan a previously unknown altarpiece by the Bruges Master of the Legend of Saint Lucy. The master is an anonymous painter who by some is associated with the 15th-century painter François van der Putte. The Triptych with the Lamentation, owned by a Spanish collector, will be in Bruges for three years. http://vlaamseprimitieven.vlaamsekunstcollectie.be/en/news-masterpiece-for-musea-brugge
Rembrandt’s Portrait of Catrina Hooghsaet has gone on view at the National Museum of Wales for three years. It was housed at Penrhyn Castle in North Wales until last year when it was sold to a private collector. It has now been offered to the museum as a long-term loan.
In the Noord-Hollands Archief 34 completely unknown drawings by Frans Post (1612-1680) have been discovered. It has always been suspected that the flora and fauna in his paintings of Brazil produced after his return to Haarlem were based on drawings made there but until now not a single animal or plant study by him was known. This sensational discovery is published in the September issue of Master Drawings. The drawings are also on view in the Frans Post exhibition at the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, October 7, 2016 – January 8, 2017. (From Codart News, September 2016)
Museum De Lakenhal will be closed for restoration and expansion from October 17, 2016 until spring 2019.
M-Museum acquired a rare early work by Jan de Caumont (1577-1659), one of the greatest 17th-century glass painters in the Low Countries. The panel shows Margaretha Vekemans and her daughter, kneeling with their patron saints, Agnes and Elizabeth of Hungary. Vekemans was the wife of Alexander van den Broeck, administrator of the Antwerp municipal treasury. They were important sponsors of the ceremonial entry into Antwerp of the Cardinal Infante Ferdinand in 1635.
At TEFAF 2016 a recently discovered book ot hours by one of the Limbourg Brothers was on display for the first time. Previously in a private Belgian collection, the book was completely unknown. It consists of 30 silverpoint drawings that are not illuminated. The book was commissioned by the Duc de Berry as a wedding gift to Valentina Visconti and Louis d’Orléans. (See the publication by Heribert Tenschert in the New Titles section.)
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art put on view in April of this year Fish Market by Joachim Beuckelaer which entered the collection in 2015. Previously in a private Belgian collection, the still life was only known through copies. The museum also acquired Jan Gossart’s Christ Carrying the Cross through the generosity of Ambassador J. William Middendorf II and additional purchase funds of the Met.
- The Frick collection has announced a gift of portrait medals from Stephen K. and Janie Woo Scher, considered the greatest medals collection in private hands. The medals range from the 15th to the 19th century and include designs by Pisanello, Guillaume Dupré and Hans Reinhart. A selection will be on show in a spring/summer exhibition opening in May 2017.
In June the Hermitage Museum presented The Resurrection of Christ (ca. 1610-1611) by Peter Paul Rubens. The painting has been newly restored after eighty years in storage.
Nationalmuseum Stockholm has acquired a large game still life by Jan Weenix: Still Life with a Dead Swan, a Peacock and a Dog next to a Fountain, 1684. The painting belonged to the Swedish diplomat Karl Bergsten and now has been reunited with those parts of his collection previously in the museum. (Codart News, September 2016)
Paintings by Rubens, Tintoretto and others that were stolen from the Castelvecchio Museum in Verona last year have been found in Ukraine in March of this year. The paintings include Portrait of a Lady by Rubens and a male portrait by Tintoretto, as well as works by Pisanello, Bellini, and Hans de Jode. The Conversion of Saul by Guilio Licinio was damaged during the robbery but has been successfully restored. (From Codart News, May 2016)